We pulled into Marti Marina four days ago. We needed a week of marina to tackle some projects.
During rain or a boat washing, water leaks into the cabin through the hatches. In various places around the boat, the teak has developed wide cracks from old age and neglect.
We thought we could get the repairs done in Bodrum while we socialized with our friends there, but there was no availability there.
We picked this marina in part because it got good reviews from Rod Heikell, the authority for sailors in the Aegean. He has published a number of cruising guides for this area. Unfortunately, during this past year, a resort company bought the place and completely changed it. It now features luxury suites overlooking the marina, a fancy restaurant, gorgeous, green-glass and marble outfitted showers, a massage and haman house, and a golf-cart service which will bring you to your boat.
Unfortunately, the marina is in the middle of nowhere. That means no village for us to get provisions or just go for a stroll and see something. In a way, that’s good because it keeps us on task with our projects.
The first thing we had to do was build ourselves some protection from the sun.
|This sun protection rig makes Phoenix look more like a bedouin tent than a sailboat.|
|From the front, it looks even worse.|
Then we had to remove the butterfly hatches and start pulling out all the old silicone that some previous owner had used to seal the cracks. I'm no boatwright, but I don't think silicone is the right caulk for this type of job. I used SIS 440 Teakdecking Systems to do the job.
|Out with the old.|
|Resealing the butterfly hatch on a Hans Christian 33: The old silicone is now removed.|
|Everything is taped in preparation for the caulking job.|
|The cap rail needed caulking in almost all of its joints.|
|Voila: New caulking on the butterfly hatch seams.|
|Voila: A caprail which won't leak water into the hull.|
While I worked on the wood, Jennifer tackeled the fiberglass. We had a number of patched holes in our fiberglass from previous attachment hardware. The holes had been patched but left dark dots all along the transom and on the cabin house where the old dodger was attached.
|Retouching the gelcoat: You can see Jennifer's color palete on the right. She spent a lot of time mixing the colors to get it just right.|
She has also been at her sewing machine again, making more stuff for Phoenix. She has tidied up some wiring, and yesterday she put down the first layer of varnish on the hatches and Phoenix's eyebrow.
I had photos posted of her sewing project, but she said she wanted to post herself. I've given her a two-day ultimatum to post herself or ... else.
All the while, we have been hounded by wasps. They buzz around us all day. They seem to be searching for a new home. They fly into the cabin and then, after a brief reconnaisance, fly out again. They are not interested in food or sweets. We have to have our screens in during the day from about 1000 to 1700. Then they disappear. In the morning, I'll find one or two lying dead on deck, having given it their all for the hive.
|The wasps of Datca peninsula.|