Friday, June 3, 2011

On The Hudson

So here we are, still in Albany, NY.  Engine troubles.  But it gives me time to upload some photos.  For the last few days we have been traveling from Burlington, VT through the Champlain Canal and into the Hudson River, stopping in a few towns along the way.   Somehow the New York side of Lake Champlain is just so depressing.  Even though Vermont is just as rural and the population is also struggling to survive,  it just doesn't have that same feel of desperation.   These are the towns that make you think "I am so damn lucky I wasn't born here."  I admit this sounds like a sweeping generalization, or that I am one of those rabbit, Vermont-loving loyalists (like Mathias), but truly I have given Upstate New York a  lot of chances to show me its charms.  This isn't my first trip on the Hudson and I have make Mathias take us to a few cute sounding town on the other side of the Lake.   I love antiques as much as the next person, I like locals only diners and blue-collar grit.  But as Sarah Palin put is so perfectly, "you can put lipstick on a pig."  Or  "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, "  or some such swine related proverb.   The most you can hope for as a boat traveller is a close enough market to grab some supplies and if your walk to the market doesn't totally depress you at least it makes you thankful for your lot in life.

Lots of abandoned shops....


and some still struggling to lure in customers.


There are plenty of laundromats.



No comments: